Monday, August 12, 2013

Why are you doing what you are doing?


The time I kill is killing me.
Mason Cooley

We have to keep the end result in mind before spending our time on that activity. An activity is not an end in itself, but only a means to an end. We have to ask the question: what am I trying to achieve by the activity I am pursuing just now?

Time is a very limited and scarce resource; we don’t have the luxury of squandering away this precious and irreplaceable resource.
When we go to a departmental store, we see a lot of articles very attractively packaged and displayed to attract our attention. We know that our money is a hard earned and scarce. With this mindset, we decide what to buy and what not to buy.
We have to validate every activity we do with the following check list:
•    What exactly I am doing now?
•    Why am I doing what I am doing?
•    What will happen if I don’t do this activity?
•    Is there any other better use for my time just now?
•    Is there any other more effective way of doing this very activity within a shorter period of my time?

This mindset will release a lot of your time for more productive work!
N C Sridharan
www.thetimefoundation.com
00000

No comments:

Post a Comment