Friday, June 21, 2013

Are you relevant and useful?



“It doesn't really matter who you used to be, what matters is who you've become.”
 Robert Tew

I take the trash to the trash yard where the residents who live in that housing colony bring their trash and dump them into a large container. Periodically the same is removed.

Every day I notice some new item dumped there. One day I will see an old chair and on another day a sofa set. Yet another day I saw a microwave oven and an ironing table. Obviously the owner of these things found the same unnecessary in their apartments.
I was listing the various reasons why anybody would through away these things to the trash yard. I listed the following common sense reasons:
•    They occupied space without offering any service.
•    They outlived their purpose and hence not required.
•    The owner had something more useful and effective than these items and hence threw them away.
•    They are defective and hence cannot be repaired or it is cheaper to replace them than to repair!

When I stood there I was reflecting as to how many of these reasons will apply to us also! Our presence to wherever we live should add value to the people who keep us – whether it is an organisation or our relatives. The day we are not relevant to them for any reason, we may have to leave that place either on our own or get rejected!

Think: are you useful and helpful to your people and hence valuable so that you don’t become a ‘human trash’!
N C Sridharan
www.thetimefoundation.com
00000

No comments:

Post a Comment