Friday, May 24, 2013

Your Skill Set is Your Treasure Box

‘Whenever a man does the best he can, then that is all he can do.’
Harry S. Truman

You may be working for someone or working for yourself. The quality
of your life depends on your earning capacity. Your earning may be
adequate or there is a gap between what you are earning and what you
need to earn. Your salary is an index of how valuable is your time and
what value it produces to others.

During our lifetime we pick up various skills, from the time we started
speaking and walking. We picked up the skill of writing, drawing,
computing, jumping, swimming etc. If you really list all the skills that
human beings can acquire, the list can be endless. The skills can be
basic survival skills to complicated higher order skills. The availability
of a skill alone will not decide its value. You need to ask the following
questions:

1. Where am I using my skill? Can I use the same skill to produce a
different result at another place?
2. Who is the beneficiary of my skill? Can it be another person? Can
more people benefit from my skill thereby producing more value
to more number of people?
3. What is the ‘commercial value’ of my skill? Can I enhance the
same manifold?
4. How am I using my skill? Can I use the same even more
effectively?

Whether you have the skill of singing or playing chess, the above
questions are relevant. Depending on how and where you play, your
earning will be more or less.

(From my book 'The Gift of Time')
N C Sridharan
www.thetimefoundation.com
00000

No comments:

Post a Comment