Sunday, March 5, 2017

'Mindscaping' for career building 57

'Mindscaping'  for career building 57


'All of the top achievers I know are life-long learners....Looking for new skills, insights, and ideas. If they are not learning, they're not growing....not moving toward excellence'
Dennis Waitley

Couple of days ago a  middle level executive came to me for personal counselling. He was looking very dull and upset. He said he is disappointed that he has not been promoted for the past three years and his salary is also stagnant. He was blaming his boss and his organisation.

I asked him what is his qualification, skill set, experience etc. He explained the same. Then I asked him as to how long he has been having the same skill set and knowledge. He said that it has not changed over the past nearly five years!

We were sitting in my office in the first floor and there is a second floor to my office. I gave him an exercise: he should go to the second floor, but he should use the same steps he used to come to the first floor! He was confused, laughed and asked me how is possible to go to the second floor by climbing the same steps he used to come to the first floor!

I explained to him that the analogy is relevant to his problem. He cannot go to the next level with the same education, skill set and experience which got him to the present position!

Do you agree?

NC Sridharan

00000

No comments:

Post a Comment