Monday, October 17, 2016

365 Exciting Ways to Live: Excitement # 37 - Develop Your Successor

Develop Your Successor.
The growth and development of people is the highest calling of leadership.
– Harvey S. Firestone

The higher up you go in your career, the more you need the help and support of people. You should graduate from doing to getting things done by others.  For this, you should know how to develop people. The difference between supervising and managing lies in the number of people, for whom you take the responsibility. That is why there are supervisors and managers in an organisation.
Today, take a person who could be your subordinate, your son or daughter, whom you want to develop. You should have a plan of action to develop them, taking them through the following stages:
  1. Look into this problem and give me all the details and I will decide.
  2. Think and discuss with me the alternatives for me to decide.
  3. Think of alternatives and recommend the course of action.
  4. Check with me and keep acting until I say ‘no’.
  5. Keep me informed.
  6. Tell me only when your actions do not produce results.
7.      Take over from me.

Take the ‘people development portfolio’ seriously! Your people will grow and ofcourse, you will also grow to the next higher level.
(From my book '365 Exciting Ways to Live')

N C Sridharan
00000

No comments:

Post a Comment