Thursday, June 4, 2015

'CONNECT' 56 - Tips on Public Speaking - Be the audience


It requires wisdom to understand wisdom: the music is nothing if the audience is deaf.
Becoming the audience yourself!
Sometimes you would have delivered an excellent speech; you would have given enough stories and jokes. You may also be very satisfied. But the key issue is: how about the audience?

You should know that your audience have some specific expectations from you. You need to know clearly what the audience want from your speech. Your primary goal is to connect with what they want. While writing the specific purpose of your speech, you should have this perspective in your mind. This is called 'audience adaptation'.
You could ask the following critical questions to yourself before your speech:
  • Who are my audience?
  • If I were my own audience, what will I expect from the speaker?
  • Will my jokes be relevant to my audience?
  • Will my stories and anecdotes be interesting to them?
  • What pace will be comfortable to my audience?
  • During the entire process of my delivery, will my audience be interested in my speech?
Compare the role of a shoe salesman. When a customer enters his showroom, he should show what the customer wants and not what all he has! Understanding this and delighting the customer is the art of salesmanship. This principle applies to public speaking also!
NC Sridharan


00000

No comments:

Post a Comment