Monday, September 2, 2013

Check your addiction!


It is hard to understand addiction unless you have experienced it.
Ken Hensley


The other day I was in a rehabilitation center for drug addicts. I met the expert who explained about the treatment process. I also met some of the victims of the addiction. They explained to me how they got into the addiction in the first place.
As I came out of the rehabilitation center I had a nagging head ache. When I looked at my watch, it was ten minutes past three in the afternoon which means I was ten minutes behind my regular coffee time and my biological system started reminding me about my ‘coffee addiction’!
I suddenly realised that I am also a victim of addiction.
Knowingly or unknowingly we start liking something and when the liking becomes severe, it takes the form of addiction. 

Look at the following addictions:
•    Addiction to television serials
•    Addiction to internet browsing
•    Addiction to afternoon naps
•    Addiction to watching football and cricket matches
•    Addiction to junk foods!
•    Addiction to speeding and rash driving
•    Addiction to mobile phones

I am sure you can add more to this list.
Here is an exercise: List one thing to which you are addicted and evolve an action plan to come out of it!

N C Sridharan
www.thetimedfoundation.com
00000

No comments:

Post a Comment